Background

Friday, November 9, 2018

Why Do We Do What We Do?

Today I am feeling grateful for the question "Why do we do what we do?" This week I have been preparing to give a talk at church this Sunday and the topic is feasting upon the words of Christ. For the past few days the question why do we do what we do keeps popping into my head.


Throughout my life (and I'm sure I will continue to hear it in the future) I have heard my dad ask that very question. You could take it as a rhetorical question or think that he's being snarky, however he is genuine each time he asks it. The ultimate answer to the question is we do what we do to have eternal life or to live with Heavenly Father, Jesus Christ, and our families for eternity after we die. He uses that question to as a gauge to determine whether activities or traditions bring us closer to that answer. I am planning on sharing that question in my talk on Sunday.


I am grateful for a father that asks a necessary question and then follows through with the answer. He has taught me by his example far better than by sitting me down and lecturing me. Without realizing it, I have been making adjustments based on that question. It wasn't until this very week that it clicked that I've been changing things in my life that help me better answer that question.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...