Background

Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Surprise Weekend Getaway

The day before Mother's Day, I was finally facing the wide variety of my thoughts and feelings. It was a mistake. (I wrote them out here.) I should have been going through them little by little throughout the week instead. That got me into a really low mood. So, Jonathan took action. He told me that he was going to take me away for the weekend and I got to decide where we were going. While he found a sub for our Primary class, I started looking at beaches here in Texas. Texas is not known for it's beaches, but it is one of my favorite places thanks to my mom sharing here love of the beach with me.

We were packed and ready to go within a couple of hours. We were already planning on going to the San Antonio Temple that day, so we spent a few hours there and then got some more supplies at Walmart. After that, we made our way down to Victoria, Texas where our hotel was. It was already dark so we couldn't see much except orange colored light in the distance. It kind of looked like a city was in the distance, but the light looked a bit different. A little while later, the lights were spread out and it was clearly not a city. It turned out we were driving through an oil field. Eventually, we did make it to our hotel.


The next morning, we had the typical hotel breakfast of Texas-shaped waffles. We were still a couple of hours away from the beach I wanted to go to, but it turned out really well. We were able to see a side of Texas we never expected. We drove past wetlands and acres of corn fields. It was a beautiful drive. We drove through Corpus Christi and made our way down to Mustang Island Beach. Jonathan is not a fan of the beach and was still willing to go because he knows how much I love it.


Mustang Island Beach converted him. He loved the softness of the sand and the warm water. We floated around and played in the waves for a few hours.


It was a fantastic day! I couldn't believe how much Jonathan was enjoying himself.


It was a fantastic beach and it wasn't too busy. There were plenty of people around, but it wasn't crowded. It was interesting seeing the oil rigs in the distance, but it didn't detract from the beautiful beach and water.


The sand was very fine and I used it as an exfoliator to make my skin extra soft.


This was exactly the kind of day that I needed and now Jonathan wants to live closer to a beach so we can go more regularly. I never thought he would say something like that!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...