Background

Wednesday, May 2, 2018

Day Two: Amsterdam & Arnhem

My second day started at 2 AM when I woke up and couldn't go back to sleep. I was very well rested and thought it must be close to 6 AM. Oh well! Since I was wide awake, I called Jonathan. We talked for over an hour and then he told me to go back to sleep. I rested, but didn't get anymore sleep. It was good because I had plenty of time to get ready for church.


Chris, Annie, and I took a tram, train, and bus to get to church in Arnhem. Chris served there as a missionary over 10 years ago. It was a beautiful morning going through Amsterdam and the Dutch countryside.

A calm morning in Amsterdam.
We saw lots of farms and windmills.




After the train, we got on a bus to get to church and saw a bit of Arnhem.


The bridge out the window is the bridge too far from Operation Market Garden during WWII.
Church was a wonderful experience. A couple of people remembered Chris and the missionaries were thrilled to talk to people from home. 

This is "I Am a Child of God" in Dutch.
After two hours of church, the jet lag caught up to Annie and me. We headed back to Amsterdam so we could take naps. My mom didn't come with us to church because she didn't wake up until 12:15 PM. She and Chris headed out while Annie and I laid down. After our naps, we all headed out together for more sightseeing.


My favorite store was also the most delicious store. Clara told Chris and Annie that only gift she wanted from the trip was cheese, so naturally we went to a cheese store. We went to Henri Willig and tried a lot of different flavors of gouda. I ended up getting the green pesto flavor since I love green pesto so much!

So many delicious flavors of cheese!




The row houses sometimes lean.



These bike bells were so cute and I wanted one so bad even though I don't have a bike.


This day also was baby J's birthday so I had a delicious Dutch pannenkoek at The Pancake Bakery for dessert. It had cinnamon ice cream, chunks of stroopwafel (Dutch waffle cookies), chocolate flakes, and whipped cream all on top of a crepe. Amy had it the previous night for dinner and it was divine!


And that was day 2.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...