Background

Thursday, October 2, 2014

When It Rains, It Pours

I have been so busy lately that I haven't really had much time to keep up with the blog. I feel like in the past week it's been pouring with blessings. 

Towards the end of August, my manager at work interviewed me for a supervisor position. I didn't hear anything back and was feeling discouraged at work after that. I did my best to keep a positive attitude, but I felt like I had missed out on a great opportunity. Then last Tuesday, my manager pulled me into her office and asked if I was still interested in the position. I was stunned that it was on the table once more. Right after I met with her, my training began. It has been overwhelming, but I am getting the hang out it. Though out of all of the new supervisors, I have the most titles/trainings.


Jonathan has started looking at internship opportunities that are part-time positions. He fit absolutely everything on the description, except for the GPA requirement. He's off by only 0.01. He has amazed me since we've moved here to Utah. His study habits are so much better than they have ever been. Before we moved, he wanted to get a new tablet for school since his current tablet was getting a little slow. As I thought about it more, I wanted to give him the best tools to enable him to really succeed in school. I suggested that he get a new laptop. He was stunned. If you know me, I am my father's daughter when it comes to money. I am a tightwad and I know it! Jonathan thought he was going to work to convince me to get a new tablet. He started doing research on what would be best for him. Jonathan decided to go with a MacBook, he just wasn't sure which one. On his birthday, Apple announced the new MacBook Pro with retina display. He was excited about it, but was still trying to convince himself that a MacBook air would be good enough. I finally told him that we should just go ahead and get the new MacBook Pro. Yet again, he was stunned. I really felt that at the time I wasn't just getting him an expensive computer, but really investing in him. Jonathan's GPA has shot up very quickly. It's nice to see that I made such a wise investment.


As I am typing this, my mom is somewhere in the middle of Nevada on her way to visit us before heading up to Idaho to take care of her newest granddaughter. (That's right, Jonathan and I now have 10 nieces and nephews!) I am so happy she is able to come out because I need her incredible organizing skills. She was even able to get tickets for the three of us to go to General Conference on Saturday. I feel really blessed that I've been able to see my mom every month since June. It was really hard going from January to June not seeing her, so I'm counting this as a big blessing!

Sweet baby Ruby decided to join our family this past Sunday. I still can't believe that after having so many boys in the family, that I have just as many nieces. She is already well loved, even if Clara still thinks her name should be Alice.


For me, one of the biggest blessings of the week is that our swamp cooler will be turned off tomorrow. I was grateful for it when it would get hot, but I am so cold all the time right now. We even turned on the heater to fight of the cold air. I am so happy that I won't have to bundle up to be in our apartment until it is turned on next spring.

Usually people us the phrase when it rains, it pours for negative things. I know I have used it that way many times, but we can also have the exact same thing happen with blessings as well. I had already thought of this title last week before General Women's Conference for church. In it President Uchtdorf said

"Part of our challenge is, I think, that we imagine that God has all of His blessings locked in a huge cloud up in heaven, refusing to give them to us unless we comply with some strict, paternalistic requirements He has set up. But the commandments aren’t like that at all. In reality, Heavenly Father is constantly raining blessings upon us. It is our fear, doubt, and sin that, like an umbrella, block these blessings from reaching us." 

Now, I'm not saying that I am perfect at this by any means. I'm just saying that this past week I have felt like many blessings have been pouring down and I am grateful to know the source of these blessings. Things, especially good things, don't happen by coincidence. They truly are blessings from heaven.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...