Background

Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Remembering Rosella Machen

Our last day in California was the day of Grandma's funeral. It was wonderful hearing so many different stories about her throughout her life.


When she was only 11 years old, she was the ward organist. Then when she was 14, she was the Stake organist. It's clear that it's through her that I get my musical talent.


In 1984, my grandma and grandpa served a mission together in Tahiti. That's why there are so many shell necklaces on the table. This is her journal during their mission. The first entry was on the day my sister Amy was born. A mission is the only thing that would have kept them from being at the hospital on the day their first granddaughter was born.


Back in the 1950s, my grandpa was having serious health problems to the point where he couldn't work. It turned out one of his kidneys was dead and the other was days away from the same fate. During that time, my grandma cared for their 3 young children, take care of the house, and work. No one's really sure how she was able to take on so many responsibilities all at once, but she did it all without complaint.


My grandma's favorite color was blue. When my mom and Aunt Andrea were having to go through and make all of the decisions, my aunt insisted that they go with the blue coffin because that's what Grandma would have chosen.


It was so nice to be all gathered together as a family.


Tyler and Garrett were very curious. Tyler was concerned with how it would work when grandma and grandpa are resurrected since they are under the ground. We did our best to tell answer his question, but fully admitted that we really don't know how it will work, but that we do know that it will work. It took some time, but he was satisfied.


When Garrett first heard that Grandma Machen had died, he really wanted to see her bones. He was a little confused to find out that she would still have her skin and hair.


Meanwhile, Charlotte was busy collecting all of the tissues she could find. She would hand them to my cousin Megan and then take them all back.


It was a good day. Though, I think Grandma would have been embarrassed to have so many stories about her being shared. She wasn't one to stand in the spotlight if she could help it. I love her so much and am so grateful that I was able to have such a righteous example in my life. A scripture that keeps coming to mind when I think about my grandma is Matthew 25:21 "...Well done, thou good and faithful servant: thou hast been faithful over a few things, I will make thee ruler over many things: enter thou into the joy of thy lord." She most certainly has been a pillar of faith to many people and she is still continuing to help her family from the other side of the veil.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for joining the Link & Mingle! Your grandmother sounds like a wonderful person - this is a beautiful post. I look forward to exploring more of your blog. :)

    Shaylee Ann | After the Manner of Happiness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! I've been having fun exploring your blog as well.

      Delete
  2. Happy tears are streaming down my face. Thank you for putting into words how we all felt about grandma. She'll continue to watch over all of us, especially her grandchildren! Love you!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...