Background

Friday, May 15, 2015

Trying Something New

For Christmas 2013, I wanted to give my grandpa a really personal gift. I follow a lot of artists on Instagram and I decided to give him a watercolor of the Los Angeles Temple. That's where he and my grandma were sealed to each other and their children. To make it even more personal, I decided to do the painting myself. It didn't seem like it would be too difficult to do. I looked at a lot of pictures of the temple and then I got out my engineering paper and did a sketch of the temple. The hardest part for me was to draw on a completely blank paper.


I did a few tests before I painted to make sure it would turn out. I ended up using a brown Sharpie for all of the details.


This past Christmas, I decided to do a couple of more paintings. I was originally going to give each set of parents a painting of the Oakland Temple since that is where they were married. As I thought more about it, I realized that my mom didn't have any pictures or paintings of the Idaho Falls Temple. Before moving to California, her dad helped with the construction of the temple. I went through the same steps as I did for the LA Temple for both temples.




Apparently I didn't take pictures of the progression of the Oakland Temple, but at least I one of the finished painting!


Jonathan's mom seriously thought I bought the painting. I couldn't have asked for a better compliment than that!


I'm still trying to be brave enough to do one of the Sacramento Temple. Arches are really intimidating!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...