Background

Monday, June 4, 2012

What's in a Name?

I like making lists of names. Some are names of family members and some are names that I like for my future children. I sometimes wonder what effect our names have on us.




I was named after my grandmother. I feel like I have a special connection to her even though I go by my initials. Since the name everyone calls me is only two letters, I feel like it sets my apart from others much like my various interests. I have become very comfortable with who I am even though I am different from most people.

This was the day my dad was sealed to his parents in the Los Angeles Temple.

Jonathan was named after Jonathan, the son of Saul and friend to David, in the Old Testament. He has many similar characteristics of him. He is kind and the best friend a person could ask for. He supports those he loves and tends to stay away from the spotlight.

A few weeks ago, Jonathan and I went to the temple and did sealings. This is the ordinance that binds families together forever so that death cannot separate us from our family. The people we did sealings for were from all over the world including Africa. A man who served in the temple in Africa shared that in Africa, people don't name their babies until they are 8 days old. If the baby dies before then, they take the bury the baby in the jungle and don't speak about them again.

When a family is prepared to go to the temple, they are asked if they had any other children, and if they do they are asked to name them. You see, it doesn't matter if the child was part of the family for only a few short days. They are still a loved child of God and they have the same privilege of enjoying the blessings of being part of an eternal family. These children that were once forgotten to the world are brought back to the remembrance of their family and receive such glorious blessings because of it.

I am so grateful for the wonderful blessings we receive at the temple and that they are accessible to everyone including our ancestors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...