Background

Monday, December 10, 2012

Yet Another Reason I Love the Temple (like I really need another)

My love of the temple is rather obvious to anyone who reads my blog.

Well, now I have a new reason to love the temple. I get to work there! It is so much fun. After I went through the temple for the first time I decided that I wanted to work at the temple. So, you can't just show up and start working there. (It's a house of order and that would just not work.) Just before summer started, I noticed little cards that you could fill out if you were available to serve. I got so excited! I filled it out and turned it in. 

I forgot that I had filled out the card and a little over a month ago I got a call from the temple recorder. (It's a person not an automated machine.) He told me that my bishop had suggested me to serve at the temple and he had a couple of open shifts in the laundry. I quickly agreed and was ready to burst with joy! I know that most 22 year-olds don't like doing their own laundry let alone volunteer to do laundry for 4 hours, but I'm not most 22 year-olds! I love working at the temple.

As I work at the temple, I feel closer to my grandparents. My grandma and grandpa Machen served twice a week at the Oakland temple for years. I am named after my grandma Patterson who died a few years before I was born. Before Jonathan and I were married, I would try to go to the temple every week to do baptisms. As I would sit in the baptistery, I would end up thinking about my grandma. I would get the feeling that she was proud of my decisions and glad that we share the same name.

I am so grateful that I live so close to the temple and that I can serve there.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...