Background

Wednesday, December 12, 2012

It's Finally Happening!

I am finally starting to get into the Christmas spirit! Now I know that makes me sound a bit like a Grinch  but let me explain. 

I think that there is something very wrong when you go to a store in October or November and they are decorated and selling Christmas items. Yes, I am one of those people who gets mad when I hear Christmas music before December. Thanks to my mom, Halloween is one of my favorite holidays and you can (and should) have your decorations up all month long. Then we have Thanksgiving. I'm honestly not super big about the meal on Thanksgiving, but you can tell that I love theme of that holiday. I put away my more ghoulish looking decorations and leave out my pumpkins and have reminders to give thanks for what we have. I don't appreciate stores trying to push aside these holidays in order to make the Christmas season last for three whole months.


This year, I've had an even harder time than usual getting into the Christmas spirit. I think it's because I've been so focused on doing well in school this semester that I haven't really done much decorating for any of the holidays. I honestly took down my 4th of July decorations in the middle of October. (What can I say, I just love our red, white, and blue!) Anyways, let me tell you what helped me snap out of this holiday slump!


Last week, my ward had it's Relief Society Christmas dinner. Jonathan and I were asked to participate in the program. We read parts of the Christmas Jar. This was the first time I have ever heard that story. It started out with a couple (Jonathan and me) having their first Christmas. Money was tight, so they decided to fill a jar with their pocket change and use that money for their Christmas gifts. It became a family tradition and grew to include their children. One year as they were taking the money to the bank and the daughter saw a woman crying. She offered the money to the woman and their family tradition was forever changed. They started using their Christmas Jar to help others. Years passed and her husband died. The evening after the funeral, she received dozens of jars in return. Some of the people shared their stories of when they were in need and a jar was at their door.

I love the spirit of giving in this story. I love how their simple, daily sacrifice was able to grow and help others. I found a blog where people share their own Christmas Jar stories. (Click here. They're really good!)

I want to start this tradition for our family.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...