Background

Saturday, March 17, 2012

What's Your Love Language?

So, one of the wedding gifts Jonathan and I received was the book The Five Languages of Love. I skimmed it and set it down on my bedside table and that's where it's been for a few months. I picked it up a couple of weeks ago and found it to be very interesting. The author makes the claim that everyone has a distinct way that they perceive love and that it can be broken down into five different categories or languages. They are: words of affirmation, acts of service, gifts, quality time, and physical touch. Now you don't necessarily fit into just one of them, the author says that you can be fluent in one or two or just have a strong secondary language. As I was reading about the different languages, I was able to relate different experiences and feelings I've had over the past year. I also felt like there is a bit of overlap between some of them.

Well, in the back of the book, there is a questionnaire so you can find your primary love language. I did it and as I tallied up my score I am fluent in not only one or two, but three different languages. (Yeah, I'm a complex woman.) Mine are words of affirmation (I regularly ask Jonathan why he loves me), quality time (I just like having him around all the time), and acts of service (I get so excited when Jonathan does something around the apartment without having to ask him to do it). Jonathan also filled out the questionnaire and it was so enlightening to see what  makes him feel really loved.

I think this book does a really good job of simplifying the various aspects of love and helping couples be more aware of what their spouse needs to feel loved. I haven't read the entire book, but I feel like it has already made me more aware of Jonathan's feelings as well as my own. Here's a website that goes along with the book. You should check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...