Background

Tuesday, September 11, 2012

11 Years Ago

Eleven years feels like a lifetime ago. I was an 11 year old in 6th grade and Jonathan was 18 starting at Sierra. So much has changed in those years. I remember the unity of this country in the aftermath. We were all unsure of what the future held and it made us cling to the things that are most important in life. 

via
I sometimes wonder why those feelings have waned and have been replaced with increased contention. There seems to be a free pass to anyone who mocks and degrades things that most Americans feel is sacred. It's hard living in a country that I am regularly told what I believe and that I am a bigot.

I have been so blessed to be born into a country where I can practice whatever religion I choose, I can go to school every day and not worry about it being blown up by an extremist that believes women should not be educated. We all lived extremely comfortable lives compared to most of the world and yet we can't have calm and rational discussions on our disagreements. No, we have no choice but to run around calling each other horrible, awful names to get our point across.

When I started this post, I was planning on going in a different direction, but these are the words and feelings that came out. I have been feeling these things for about 4 years and it feels right that I share them today. These feelings will not go away over night, but I have hope that things will get better in this country. Everyone needs an added measure of patience and a lot less judgement. I trust that we can reunite like we did 11 years ago. I know that this can happen without another attack happening. I want to share a scripture from the Book of Mormon that one of my friends shared this morning on Facebook.

"Now have we not reason to rejoice? Yea, I say unto you, there never were men that had so great reason to rejoice as we, since the world began; yea, and my joy is carried away, even unto boasting in my God; for he has all power, all wisdom, and all understanding; he comprehendeth all things, and he is a merciful Being, even unto salvation, to those who will repent and believe on his name.
"Now my brethren, we see that God is mindful of every people, whatsoever land they may be in; yea, he numbereth his people, and his bowels of mercy are over all the earth. Now this is my joy, and my great thanksgiving; yea, and I will give thanks unto my God forever..." Alma 26:35,37 The Book of Mormon

I am so grateful to know that our Heavenly Father lives and his greatest desire is for us to return to Him. I know that He loves each and everyone of us equally. I love this country and the men and women who are willing to sacrifice all to protect our freedoms.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...